This MUMAA artwork contains the big idea's of power, struggle, fate, fear, and most importantly, story. Myth has it that Lacoon (center) was killed after attempting to expose the ruse of the Trojan horse. The snakes were sent by Posiedon to put an end to both Lacoon and his two sons. As outlandishly intriguing as this sounds, I think I would have to run with the big idea of story for this particular piece.
Using this artwork and the story behind it as an example, I would ask my Tiger Artists to develop a myth of thier own that involves two or three characters. The myth could be about themselves or another person or animal. I would then have the students create thier own mini-sculptures depicting a scene from their myth, keeping in mind the essential questions asked and key concepts discussed.
Essential questions would include: What can body language and facial expression tell us about the way the characters are feeling? Why do you think the artist chose to depict this exact moment in the story? How does the scale of the figures let us know which one is Lacoon, the main character?
Key concepts would include: Character (Who are the characters?), mood (How does this artwork make you as the viewer feel when gazing?), tension (What do you think is about to happen next and how does that create tension?), Plot (Do we need to know the backstory for this piece to be meaningful?)
VTS1: Summative Reflection Project.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment