Renaissance artists were all about quality work, but they were equal advocates of the conceptual message behind it. Nicolas Poussin, master 17th century European artist, believed that "Able men must work with thier intellects, that is, they must concieve beforehand what they want to do." Artists like Poussin aimed to visually stimulate thier viewers minds so as to lead them to discovery of the truth within the work. Yes, these intellectual "adventures" proved to be quite effective in marketing paintings, but for good reason! Anyone can paint mere objects. An artist who can effectively portray an entire concept or story in a single image is esteemed and thier work is seen as both a material as well as intellectual treasure.
Personally, I am incapable to making "inconceptual" art. I don't even know if that's a real word, much less what it means, but you see what I'm saying. I couldn't paint about nothing if I tried. The Romantic painters of old were enlightened to view their work as an opportunity to promote a conceptual journey. For me, my art always has been and always will be a means of communication. It gives me an excuse and the freedom to speak my mind, and it is my most sincere hope that my viewers will be so taken with the visual quality that they cannot help but listen.
VTS1: Summative Reflection Project.
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment