A series is composed of individual works bound together by a common thread, be it a narrative, a character, or a big idea. Such things are often better understood by a viewer when observed from a variety of angles, and series aims to provide these perspectives for viewers. Creating multiple interrelated works of art not only encourages collectors to buy more than one, it also gives the artist more room to expressim him or herself. By utilizing the concept of series, an artist has ample opportunity to strenthen their unique style and message. This development of an artist's "brand" helps heighten appeal for buyers, thus furthering thier reputation and overall prestige.
My own artwork often becomes a series, but usually not by design. If I am so taken with a particular theme that I take the time to represent it through one work, it's usually worth another go. My obsessive-compulsive nature forces me to make these related works similar in structure and aestheics as well, thus creating an unintentional series. I have yet to sell any of my pieces but I would hope that if a buyer cares enough to pay good money for one, they might purchase another for the same reason that I bothered to create it in the first place.
VTS1: Summative Reflection Project.
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment