Monday, February 25, 2013

Body as Surface

For thousands of year the body has been used as a canvas for self-expression and cultural representation. This has been done in many ways, the most common methods being tattooing, scarification and body painting. The original purpose of such practices was usually of symbolic or ceremonial nature, but the idea of using the body as a surface has now expanded far beyond anything the first practitioners could have ever dreamed. From the chewing gum cicatrices of Hannah Wilke to Orlan’s elective surgeries, the concept of humans as canvas has left a permanent mark in the art world.

Though I have never had the guts (or the money) to acquire a tattoo, I went through an artistic period in which body piercings were my favorite means of self-expression. Indeed, I did identify with a specific countercultural group, and I was eager to show the world that I lived my life without fear of the restrictions of the social norm. Now that I am older and on my way to becoming a respectable teacher, I find myself wishing there was a way to make those holes disappear without a trace. However, I do not regret the initial decision to modify my appearance. I appreciate each one as an artistic experiment and a learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment