Though art
frequently serves documentary purpose, its visual nature makes it impossible to
shut off all imaginative properties. Visual art, no matter how straightforward
and factual it is meant to be, can always be interpreted a bit differently from
person to person. British filmmaker John Grierson described his documentaries
as “The creative treatment of actuality.” For filmmakers and photographers,
artistic endeavors are often investigations of reality requiring both critical
thinking and creative analysis. Art can serve as a means to provide a first-hand
account of one moment in history to be honorably preserved and passed on to
generation upon generation.
I feel that
this chapter left out a critical aspect of art as documentary. Yes, art can be
used as an objective record of facts and events, but it is also a most
excellent means of recording personal growth. One of the projects I am working
on right now involves a culmination and analysis of my own artwork created
throughout my 22 years of life. It is my treasured artistic autobiography, an
honest record of my progression from scribbles to full scale photo-realistic paintings.
I can look back on my past works and reflect upon how life’s events influenced my
development as an artist, as well as how I dealt with those events through my
artwork. I own no other artifacts that cause childhood memories to come
flooding back in the same way. It’s the most accurate and meaningful
documentary I will most likely ever have in regards to my own life.
No comments:
Post a Comment